Friday, April 26, 2013

PART ONE:
"Do as I say, not as I do" does not work with students. In order for them to take plagiarism and copy rights laws seriously the teacher needs to also. Hypocrisy is not popular with anyone, especially students. To me, that is the major reason teachers need to pay close attention to copy right laws. If a teacher is going to ask students to practice academic honesty, they should as well. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.
Another reason teachers need to use follow copyright laws is to stay moral as a teacher. Being a good role model for students is a large part of the job. Students wont respect a teacher that breaks laws and doesn't seem to have a moral compass. Students who don't respect a teacher wont learn from that teacher and if enough teachers lose the respect of their students there will be no learning. 


PART TWO:
A lot of the stuff in the chapter is very familiar to me simply because I know from being a student practically my entire life what is affective and what is not! Presentations need to be clear, easy to follow, and effective.
One this I had never thought about but have noticed is the Signal-to-Noise Ratio. I had a teacher in middle school that had obviously just learned all of the new tricks to power point because he included anything and everything! The slides were, to say the least, noisy! The noise cuts away from being able to clearly understand the slide and its information. At first I thought the examples of the "fixed" slides were way to boring but the continuation of the section which shows affective ways to use nonessentials was really nice! I particularly like the slides that included dark backgrounds with easy to see graphs over them.
Most of what I saw in the chapter seems common sense to me. Use the effects that make the slide visually appealing but most importantly CLEAR! I already know not to jumble up slides with a million words! The slide should be an outline but not do all the talking. The teacher should do all the talking and the slides should visually complement the lecture or lesson. Like in the text with images second on page 154 where the pictures are placed behind the words and complement each other rather than fighting for the viewers attention.
Another thing I thought was very interesting was the Picture Superiority Effect. I like the idea of using pictures to help recall the information. I use this in my notes all the time for classes here at WOU! I write a key term, concept, or story and then I draw a little picture to help me remember. A lot of the times I find myself drawing the same picture that is on the slide.
These are all pointers I can use and continue to use in my presentation. A short lesson on how to create slides like these would be useful to high school students when I am a teacher. It is important for students to be able to display information clearly and present to a group affectingly.
In the power points I have used over the years my pictures have not be used as well as they could have been. I also think I could cut down on text in the slides pretty often. Another tip that my older power points could use is to split up a full slide into more than one. 


PART THREE:
Prezi Presentation.
Ahhh. It's about a pirate
CLICK HERE TO VIEW!

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog- there's so much "life" on it. Your content this week is rich- I'm glad that Presentation Zen is helpful. Your Blackbeard Prezi is fantastic. Lastly, Practice What You Preach is a great rule for all classroom teachers. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have a fan!
      I enjoy blogging for this class.
      I like classes that allow me to be creative.
      It makes doing the work less dreadful.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your Prezi. I thought that the images that you used and how it flowed around them was really cool. You obviously have a talent for making informative and entertaining presentations

    ReplyDelete